In collaboration with the Ashokan Watershed Stream Management Program (AWSMP) the Catskill Mountains Chapter of Trout Unlimited is organizing a tree planting project along Stony Clove Creek near Wright Road on Earth Day in April.
AWSMP has been conducting a multiyear project to halt bank erosion on the Stony Clove Creek
When: Saturday April 22nd
Time: 10AM – 2PM
Where: Streamside on the Stony Clove Creek (near Wright Road, upstream from Phoenicia NY)
CMTU and volunteers will be planting native trees and shrubs along Stony Clove Creek as part of as part of our partnership with the Arbor Day Foundation (https://www.arborday.org/). The goal of this project is to plant along critical coldwater streams in the Catskill Mountain Region. The planting will help shore up the hillside along the section of the creek that has been repaired to shore up the bank and prevent future erosion.
This will be our largest volunteer event of the year for our chapter.
We are looking for at least a dozen volunteers to help. You are not required to be a member.
Jobs include: coordinating volunteers, planting trees, watering, registration table. Please consider taking one day out of the year to help fulfill the mission of Trout Unlimited.
Please join us and bring a friend.
*****VOLUNTEER info UPDATE 4/17/17 ******
Thank you for volunteering at the planting.
Here are some last minute details:
- CMTU will be providing stacks and lunch for all volunteers.
- There is limited parking at the planting location. We will be meeting at AWSMP offices at 9:30AM to carpool to the location. It is located at 3130 NY-28, Shokan, NY 12481. Here is a map and contact information for AWSMP office.
- If you will be arriving later or plan to meet us at the site. Here is a map of the location and directions from AWSMP office.
- Tools: Please bring hand shovels, gloves, and pry bars if you have them.
- Here is a list of plants. The plants are bareroot stock. I attached a schematic for your info. Plus a Bare-Root-Planting-Guide
Species Seedling # speckled alder 100 silky dogwood 50 red-osier dogwood 100 northern bayberry 200 sand cherry 0 swamp rose 50 pussy willow 100 silver maple 0 American sycamore 0 highbush cranberry 50 butternut 25 Total 675
For more information contact: firstname.lastname@example.org